Wednesday, March 9, 2016

21 DAYS WITH PATTIE (2015) Rendez-Vous With French Cinema 2016

Absolutely delightful off kilter film about a woman who goes home for her estranged mother's funeral and finds herself in the middle of a village of lovable but crazy people. However before you think this is cliched consider that the mother's body goes missing and there maybe some shocking twists ahead.

I had no idea what this film was going to be really when I went in other than it was a comedy. I came out of it being a huge fan and wanting to see it again. The perfect mix of quirky characters, magical realism and  frankness to discuss sex and taboo topics that just somehow comes together to be utterly charming. As our heroine says to Pattie after one of her frequent graphic stories about her sex life "Is there a reason you're telling me this?" the answer is, as Pattie says "because I felt I had to". Which some how makes it all better. People in this film do things because they have to and it is a great fun.

A real delight in memorable supporting role is Denis Lavant as a horny hunter who runs all his words together. I can't explain it you have to see it.

Actually you just have to see this film which had the screening for critics I attended laughing at all the right place. More importantly, they like me were wondering why no one had been talking the film up because it was such a real joy to see.

One of my film finds of 2016.

The film plays March 11 and 12th at Lincoln Center. For tickets and more information go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment