Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Dementia (2015)

This is the story of George a decorated war hero who is showing signs of dementia. He is flashing back to Vietnam and his mind is wandering off. His son hires a nurse to help take care of him, However things are not as they seem and the nurse may very well be harboring evil intentions.

I like this film on a lot of levels but I have some issues.

The problem with the film is that by focusing on Georges deteriorating mind we can't be sure whats real and what isn't. While this is a good exploration of George's state of mind, but it causes problems such as early on when George sees dead soldiers wandering around his home and the hospital. What is real and what isn't? I was never sure, or never sure enough to fully give myself over to the film. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. While to want answers in something like this is kind of pointless and a film has a right not to make sense, I kind of felt that the director and writer were trying to go for something different then what they got.

While I had issues with the film on some levels I didn't have any with the cast who are first rate. I also love the way the film generates a great deal of tension and unease. The sense of dread is enough to warrant you going to see DEMENTIA even if the payoff wasn't quite enough for me.

DEMENTIA opens Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment