Monday, August 3, 2015

IN BRIEF: Madame Bovary (2014)

Current hot actor Ezra Miller and Mia Wasikowska star in the latest adaption of Flaubert's classic tale.

Wasikowska stars as the title character, a woman married to a country doctor who is bored with her life. In order to amuse herself to raise her social status she begins a series of affairs which threaten to bankrupt her and bring ruin down upon her.

I'm not sure if  I'm not high on the film because it's just an okay adaption or because the subject matter didn't thrill me. In the interest of full disclosure I had no interest in covering this film but I was asked by the right person so I said yes-warning them that odds are my reaction was not going to be gushing.

To be completely frank I had a hard time staying awake. The film looks great, the performances are impeccable, but the story didn't blow up my skirt. The again it never has in previous film versions nor when I made an aborted attempt at reading the novel. This reminded me of a really well made Masterpiece Theater series that tried too hard.

If you prefer costume dramas over modern dress or are fan of the stars give it ago otherwise take a pass.

The film hits DVD, Bluray and streaming outlets Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment