Tuesday, April 29, 2014

In brief:Tomorrow We Disappear (2014) Tribeca 2014

A look at the Kathputli colony outside of Dehli. The colony started as a tent camp for various street and classical performers (magicians, puppeteers, acrobats ect), many of whom have traveled the world as cultural ambassadors. Over time their tents became permanent structures...which the government now wants gone so they sold the land to developers to build luxury apartments. The performers are now faced with whether or not to accept the promise of free housing to be built elsewhere or fight on.

This is a disappointing film best described as a great opening five minutes, a great closing five minutes and 70 minutes in the middle where people hem and haw and yell at each other a great deal about what they should do. Someone at the press screening I attended described the whole film as "it sucks to be poor in India", and he's kind of right.

There is just pain and sorrow for the films running time. I don't mind pain and sorrow but you really have to give me away in, you have to give me people to care about, you have to explain more of their plight, you have to give me something to hang my hat on just not people moaning and yelling at each other.

I don't see the point. I don't know why I should care, other than they directors telling me this maybe the end of a cultural legacy. Give me something more (if nothing else explain the new ban on street performing that has kept them in poverty).

I wanted to like this. I had hoped to know more about the colony and the arts and see why we should care but there is almost nothing.

A major miss despite a game try.


2 comments:

  1. "This is a disappointing film best described as a great opening five minutes, a great closing five minutes and 70 minutes in the middle where people hem and haw and yell at each other a great deal about what they should do."

    Ya know what? You are not far off the mark at all in my view. Yeah, I did like it a bit more than you, but I expected more, and allowed that great opening and ending to persuade me to include it on my honorable mention list that I am still tinkering with. I will finalize that by the way on Monday after watching two apparently essential films at Tribeca at this week's Montclair Film Festival: THE OVERNIGHTERS and INTRAMURAL.

    Nice review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I loved this movie. I gave it a 5 and I worked the first showing and was collecting ballots and everyone was giving it 5's. I highly recommend this doc to everyone. Guess different tastes haha

    ReplyDelete