Monday, May 27, 2013

Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? (1978) (revised)


I recently popped in my copy of Who’s Killing the Great Chefs of Europe from the Warner Archive into my DVD player. I hadn’t seen the film in a few years and it was so nice to be able to ditch my well-loved videotape.

Written by legendary writer Peter Stone, the film tells the story of the murders of the best chefs in Europe, all favorites of gourmand Robert Morley. Into the mix comes Jacqueline Bisset as a pastry chef who might be on the list and George Segal as her husband a brash American business man for opening obnoxiously popular restaurants.

The mystery is clever enough so as not to be obvious the first time through, the dialog is very witty and the cast is spot on. Not only does it boast Segal, Bisset and Morley but also Jean Pierre Cassel, Phillipe Noiret, Jean Rochforte,PeterSallis, and Joss Ackland all of who are great fun to watch as the super egotistical chefs, one of whom stages a fake murder attempt just so he’ll be considered part of the great chef club.

I’ve loved this film from the time I saw it way back in 1978. It was one of those films that I’d watch every time it showed up on cable. It’s one of those breezy romantic comedies that are mixed with murder that they don’t do any more. Its one of those films that is perfect for curling up on a couch and just letting the world fall away. I saw the film the night after the heavy Soviet film Letters From a Dead Man and I realized that anything short of popcorn from the brain wasn’t going to cut it. I popped this in and lifted my spirits and cleared away the gloom that had hung over me for over the previous 24 hours.

If you want to something entertaining and completely non taxing see this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment