Sunday, October 7, 2012

Amour (2012) New York FIlm Festival 2012


Normally I dislike Michael Haneke directed films. To me they are variations of the same things over and over again, usually having to do with the cruelty of people towards each other. Worse to me his films are obvious in their conclusions.

Normally  I don't like his films....

...which is why my love of Amour, his most recent film which is playing at the New York Film Festival comes as a major shock and major delight.

The plot of the film is simple, Georges and Anne deal with what transpires in the wake of Anne's stroke. It's a bittersweet tale that is tinged with great love.

I don't know what to say beyond WOW.

Jean-Louis Trinnitignant is amazing as Georges. Watching him as he watches the one he love in pain is heart breaking. Its easily one of the best performances of the year.

Emmanuelle Riva as Anne should be given the Oscar right now. How the hell does she do what she does? No seriously, you explain how she manages to do it...Its a performance for the ages. No really, you explain to me how the hell she holds her mouth  and face in some of these scenes...

What I love about the film and what sells the whole thing is how the pair interacts. Watch the body language. Watch how they move together. Watch how Georges lifts Anne out of her wheelchair... if you can't feel the love and sensuousness you're dead. These are two people deeply deeply in love.

You have to see this film. Its amazing. I completely understand why it's winning all the awards, and I would put this on my best films of this year's New York Film Festival.

I can't say more than that, because the film is so simple in it's complexity you just have to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment