Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Curucu, Beast of the Amazon (1956)


WTF sort of monster movie from the mind of Curt Siodmak who should have known better than to unleash this twisted film upon the world.

The plot has something to do with a great white hunter (or just a manly man) and a doctor heading up river to see why the plantation workers have left their plantation. What they run into- eventually- with way too many scenes of small talk and inaction, is a monster.

I'm not going to lie and say this is anything other than a turdball of a movie. Its one of those so bad its bad---but good in a twisted I can't believe this sort of away. Its a film with some of the most surreal and mind bending things you'll ever see. I'm not just talking about the monster-but also the endless inane dialog and snake dancing native.

Okay, you asking "it's a terrible movie, why are you writing it up for Unseen Films?" simply because its one of those movies you'll want to keep in mind for your own do it yourself movie riffing party ala MST3K. (There's also a part of me that makes me want to scream "I had to suffer through this, I can't be the only one feeling the pain.")

For adventurous (?) movie goers only.

By the way the film was shot in color but there are black and white prints floating around on the collectors market. (There is no official release that I know of which is probably a good thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment