Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rivers of Fire and Ice (aka African Safari) (1968)

Stunning documentary on the wild life of Africa and one of the men who collects it for zoos and museums, director Ronald E. Shanin.

With dozens of cable channels running nature shows and PBS running even more one feels over whelmed at times and very often one feels that one has seen all there is to see. Occasionally a film comes along and surprises the hell out of you and you realize that perhaps, its not that you've seen everything, its just that most filmmakers have gotten lazy. I put this film on the other night (it's on a double feature DVD under the title African Safari and running 76 minutes instead of the 98 listed by IMDB.) and it really blew me away. The opening 15 minutes had more "wow" sequences then most seasons of any show on the Discovery or Animal Planet. From the hunting eagle, wandering the veld, to the lizard by the tale sequence, to the volcano, to pretty much every sequence this film will really impress you. This is the sort of stuff that we don't any more, probably because some one would claim its not politically correct. Best of all the narration is both informative and very witty. You will learn something while you laugh.

This is one of the real treasures of my DVD collection.

A must see for anyone who has any interest in nature or anyone who likes a really good documentary.

A word of warning this film is out of print as far as I know. It was released on a DVD with a film called Indian Paint from BCI. Unfortunately BCI went belly up and the film is now only available in dollar stores (I know I've picked up several copies for gifts) and from Amazon e-sellers. If you are willing to splurge a couple of bucks its worth picking up.

9 comments:

  1. I am searching for a torrent of this movie for a long time. Could you please upload it?
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this movie on Hulu. Absolutely fascinating and riveting. Filmed in 1969 it may seem politically incorrect in places but I think Mr. Shanin was actually way ahead of his time. Take it for what it is worth, a ruby in the rough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first saw this movie at Bergstrom AFB and was convinced that this was the best manly movie I had ever seen and I am still of the opinion that it hasn't been topped yet. I want a copy. I don't want to get a copy at the expense of the film maker. I wish I knew more about Shanin. Did he make other movies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this movie in Melbourne (Australia) about forty years ago. When it ended Ronald Shanin walked on stage in front of the screen with a python around his neck. I can't remember a single word he said (too long ago) but he did speak for quite a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was fortunate enough that Mr. Shanin retired in my little neighborhood in Huntsville, Texas. He came to my school to show the film and answer questions. He was an amazing man and I considered him a friend. I am in desperate search for a copy of the film as my VHS died many years ago. If anyone can give me a lead I would really appreciate it. Amazon currently has none available. mark.conwell@united.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some scenes are strongly embedded in my mind.. unforgettable. Desperate to watch the movie... Someone please guide

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched this movie as a kid many years ago and it fascinated me. If anyone can give a clue as to where I can get this movie it would be really great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is a russian dubbed print on you tube.
      the film appears to be out of print on dvd
      check ebay or the collectors market

      Delete
  8. I had VHS of this movie and grew up watching this back in India in the 80's. I would love to get a copy of this movie if possible.

    ReplyDelete